Category Archives: Syria

Syrious Business!

Freedom and Democracy are basic to America’s existence.  These key features of America have enhanced the lives of millions of the poor  And, because Freedom and Democracy are so intrinsic to everyone’s success, America promotes these concepts every chance we have.

That explains why, over the years, America has spent untold trillions to dislodge dictators.  We have sacrificed countless, brave souls to gain Freedom and Democracy for people in far-away lands.  America has always been the first, and best, bulwark against oppression.

And, yet, now, thanks to President Obama and his wishy-washy,  ambivalent approach to Syria’s problems, Russian President Putin feels free to claim America is NOT exceptional.  And, Putin is using the doubts that Obama’s inaction have created as a backdrop in which to challenge everything America says or does.  And, what does President Obama do in the face of Putin’s challenges?

You would think that Obama would send out a stinging retort!  Nope.  You would think that Obama would tell the Russkies  to stay out of the Mediterranean with their ships.  Nope.  You would think that Obama would tell the Russians to take their weapons out of Syria and JUST GO HOME!  Nope.

Instead, we have a President who vacillates.  He can’t decide if America should punish Syria’s Assad or “talk-’em-into-agreement” .   The longer he hesitates, the worse the problem becomes. As a professor, you would think that Obama might remember and undeerstand America’s history with Russia, and other dictators.  If he did, he could learn howPresident Kennedy, who  faced the same situation, responded.  Kennedy’s response to Russian weapons in Cuba was an unqualified “GET OUT” to Kruschev.

Obama’s failures are adding up, and like the snowball rolling down hill and gaining strength and size, his lack of leadership will cause other countries to continue to become more aggressive and less amenable to following America’s lead.  Obama’s failure to deal with Egypt’s problems, the Benghazi massacre of Americans, and now, Syria, is diminishing America’s influence in the world and……..thus, reducing our safety.  We need a President who speaks forcefully and carries out his own statements.  We need a strong military to keep us safe because  a strong American military is the only measure Russia, China, and the rest of the world understand.

So, President Obama should stop playing games, including golf and basketball, and get down to the business of defending America and its interests.  He had better take care of the NSA, CIA, Benghazi, and other scandals before cruising out for more golf and basketball, or yet another, expensive vacation with his family and dogs!  American safety is not a game and Obama had better start doing his job as America’s President, NOT the World’s Greatest Talking Head of State!

Here’s a scoop for Obama.  Syria, along with all the Mid-East and other scandals,  is NOT something trivial to be dealt with in your spare time.  Syria is Syrious business!

Less “bang” for the buck

For those of us who insisted that Senator Obama was too inexperienced to be President, the current fiasco of whether to bomb Syria  is not a surprise.

Obama’s holier-than-thou attitude toward those of us who believe that freedom depends upon being stronger than your opposition, his policy of appeasement in bowing to every foreign leader he met, his lengthy speeches denigrating our great country and his dismantling of our military might,  were only a prelude to future problems.  And, Syria is just one of those problems that Obama’s inexperience has created.

His inexperience shows, among many areas,  in how he deals with foreign countries.  Russia, whom Obama assumed would fall victim to his own great charm, now opposes everything we propose to control Syria.   China warns us not to meddle in Syria.  Even the tin pot dictators in Syria, and their legions of thugs, mock us.  Could our stature as a world power be diminished any further?  Oh, yes,  even the UN — that hot bed of  self-serving intelligentsia that we support financially — has decided that THEY will tell us IF we can bomb Syria!

Now, America faces a paradox.  Would it be best to bomb Syria so Iran knows we mean business?  Would it be better to NOT bomb Syria to prevent civilian casualties which are guaranteed in any bombing strike?

These are questions that America would NOT be facing if Obama hadn’t foolishly thought that he could persuade foreign countries to do his bidding if only he talked enough!  Remember that dictators only kow-tow to those they fear.

These are questions America would NOT be facing if Obama hadn’t tried to grand stand and create a Red Line.  Remember, if you draw a line in the sand, and the “other guy” steps over it, you had better be ready to fight.

These questions are the direct result of electing a completely unqualified man to the Presidency.  Remember, the truly great Presidents have been those men who were experienced in government, executive decisions, business, and the military.  Obama has NONE of those qualifications.

So, now, thanks to Obama,  we face a Hydra in the Middle East.  Bomb Syria and create uncertainty about which political segment will emerge victorious.  Don’t bomb Syria and embolden Iran and its nuclear program.  Let the UN with all its American fans decide what is right for America.  Let Russia and China push us around.  The only certainty is that  the result of Obama’s inexperience, hesitation, and uncertainty could well kill more American soldiers and definitely will kill Syrians….no matter what happens.

It is said that you get what you pay for.   Well, America has paid dearly and often for the follies of President Obama.   Syria is  just the latest of a long list and only time will tell how costly President Obama’s time in office will be for America.  But, one thing is certain.  With  Obama, America is getting far more talk and far less bang for its buck.