Tag Archives: racism

White is white, black is black?

http://www.essence.com/relationships/commentary_3/commentary_jill_scott_talks_interracial.php

At least, that’s what this authoress seems to be saying!  She winced when she discovered that a guy who was african american was married to a caucasian woman.

Why?  What’s  wrong with black and white, rather than white and white or black and black?  Everyone knows that our country has always been a  melting pot and you have to expect that eventually, we will have gray areas…i.e., marriages of different ethnic groups.  But, so what?

It seems as though minorities always want to whine about all the bad things that happened to their ancestors, as if they were the only ones who have suffered.  Then, they use that ancient pain to identify themselves and insist that they deserve special benefits when, in actuality,  they wouldn’t recognize those same ancestors if they passed them on the street! Besides,  how does something that happened 100 years ago really impact you?  In most cases, these past problems are just an excuse to justify some financial or social demand.

So, I saythis is another example of a person gaming the system.  It is too bad that this lady felt a sting when she heard of an interracial marriage, but that should be HER problem, not ours.  I say that such marriages are a good example of America’s acceptance of all ethnic groups and it is making our country stronger.  We don’t want people to only marry people like themselves.  We want people to meet, and fall in love with those who are their soul mates…whether that mate is the same color, age, or any other criteria.

After all, almost everything in life is better with  a touch of this and a dab of that.  Marriages are the same.  And, so is our country.

Racism is NOT black and white!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372266

My kids all know that I believe racism is NOT a color, but an aberrant thought process.  And, although many minorities have lived through difficult times, traumatic experiences are NOT intrinsically a racist phenomenon.  Our family has lived through many, many difficult times that I would say rival some of the stories told by those who feel they have been discriminated against.  And, yet, no one rushed to our aid because we are “white”.

Or, are we?  My mother was 1/8 Menominee and yet, to look at us, you would undoubtedly call me and my brothers white, not native Americans.  Obama claims to be black, yet he had a white mother. So, where is the line that determines what COLOR you are?  Judging people based on color is impossible because most of us are a delightful mixture of this ethnic group or that.  And, this is why racism cannot be considered a function of color alone.  While some racism IS dependent upon color, most racist thought is predicated upon a hostile attitude toward someone else and usually with the hope of gaining an advantage for yourself.

I believe that many of the problems attributed to racism in today’s world are a result of the welfare state imposing a burden on one group for the advantage of another.  If one ethnic group is seen as taking advantage of another, of course hard feelings will occur.  It’s hard to like someone if you believe they are taking your hard-earned money.  Legislators have a vested interest in positing one ethnic group against another, though, and that is because class warfare can help their  return to Congress.  If you ask a hard-working American if he wants to buy his neighbor’s health care, almost everyone will say, “NO!  Hell no!”  But, because it suits a purpose, people like Obama and Pelosi and Reid continue to promote this idea that whites are to blame for the troubles of every minority.  All too soon, this creates a “them” and “us” group who eventually will act on this them/us feeling.  Then, you do have a form of racism.

Unfortunately, racism pays big dividends and has become a political football.  Illegal aliens are now actually courted with promises of amnesty (despite a huge majority of Americans opposed to this) in order to gain their vote.  Democrats support amnesty for Hispanics and, generally, conservatives feel the law against illegal aliens must be upheld.  However, Hispanics are seen as a certain vote for Democrats, and thus, amnesty will probably happen — AGAIN!!!  My best bet, though, is that amnesty will not promote the general good because it sets one group against another.  It will create yet another, separate ethnic class and cause more problems for these people.

Racism has become  a club to use whenever you feel you deserve something from someone else.  And, some in the black community, like Rev Jesse Jackson, have perfected the process.  He interjects racism into any cause that involves a black person.  He has used racism and racially charged words to attack other blacks, too, but it is almost always in the cause of promoting the concept that blacks deserve more from everyone else.    It would be refreshing if he ever launched one of his broadsides against a black person who hurt a white person, or even an Asian or Hmong.  But, he reserves his venom for helping blacks only.

I am not saying there is no discrimination.

I AM saying that not everything that happens is racist nor are all racist events the result of white against black people.

It’s time for Congress and Obama to stop playing the race card because it suits their purposes.  It is hurting America and Americans.  We need to be a united people who HAPPEN to be black, white, Asian, or whatever, in ethnicity.  But, we are ALL Americans.

They’ll get less help, and like it

This might be one of the most jaw-dropping stories I’ve written about in a few months, so make sure you watch where you place your chin.

There’s a story of a mother who had a kid with an illegal immigrant.  No, that’s not the shocker.  So this child takes the name of Gonzales or Hernandez, or some name that to the blind eye would indicate Mexican.  When this kid became of age to enroll in school the mother was encouraged to have the child enrolled in ELL, or English Language Learners.  This child looks white and speaks English as a first and only language but encouraged to be in ELL because of the name.

First off, it’s racist to think because of the name of the child defines him as a certain race or ethnicity.  Secondly, these programs possibly hold back those who already have a strong grasp of the English language and don’t prepare you correctly for the future.  Then the school informed the mother that the child would be better off in the ELL classes and be taught better, implying that the regular curriculum is not as good and you will only get good results through ELL.

Just another example of holding back the needs of the majority of students, ~99%, and pandering to the ~1%.

Mr. Knowldge

Maher’s mar

For someone who considers himself to be an intellectual comedian, Maher is the absolute dumbest guy on the planet.  And, worse, he wants to make trouble because it helps coalesce one class of Americans against another.

The latest misperception by him is about a Drudge headline:   http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/video.aspx?v=Gd8zqGqGuz

Maher claims that the headline is racist.  I think that his radical ideology causes him to perceive too many comments as being provocative.  The use of “negs” has been a common shortening of negatives for years and years.  If Maher would actually read something other than his own clippings, he would see that there is nothing racist about the word!

However, it is so much easier to claim racism and provoke more division among Americans than it is to unite diverse people.  Democrats are known for their class warfare rants and their inability to see anything but their own ideas.

Maher’s continuous search for reasons to hate conservatives could actually be his own subliminal struggle against racist thoughts that he himself has.  After all, when Rosana Dana — aka Gilda Radner — was accused of flatulence on Saturday Night Live, her response was, “He who smelt it, dealt it.”

I think that Maher is stinking up the airwaves with his biased commentary and this is just another mar against Maher!

Who’s the racist here?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0709/Obama_Cambridge_police_acted_stupidly.html

President Obama must move beyond racism as the culprit for everything that goes wrong to a black person in America.  Without even knowing the facts, he condemns the police because the intruder was black.

Isn’t it time for blacks and other minorities to stop claiming “racism” for every fracas that they are involved in?  Whether the Harvard professor was black or white, his neighbors reported  that “someone” was breaking into that house.  How did the police know whether this was the owner or a robber, especially when the professor refused to identify himself?  What would the professor have said if the intruder had not been himself, but a real robber?

Blacks have to accept that sometimes events do not play out as they wish.  We all have the same problem.

Surely, the president is intelligent enough to know that not everything that happens to a black person is based on race.  Or, is he?

Affirmative Action – the “New Deal”

The other day, I made a comment to someone about my dissatisfaction with the results of the Presidential election.  Immediately, this other person accused me of racism.  And, no matter how many reasons, pretty good reasons to my way of thinking, that I gave, this person insisted my vote had to be based on racism. That is an untrue charge and that person refused to accept my arguments because he didn’t recognize the sweeping, societal changes that have occurred.  In today’s America, a person should be able to choose a candidate, or employee, or friend, based on the individual’s personal qualities, and not the skin color.  To blatantly label any decision not favoring a given ethnic group is racist.

We Americans have changed since the Civil Rights movement began.  We began financial, governmental and legal policies to erase the effects of slavery and the discrimination that stemmed from it.  One response, affirmative action , attempted to reduce  discrimination in college entrances, job promotions, sports, and almost every sphere of American society.  Personally, I think affirmative action in its original form is unAmerican.  Good governmental policies should never hurt one group in order to help another, especially when the helping hand usually meant welfare.  No, market forces actually drove discrimination away.  Discrimination disappeared because it wasn’t economically feasible to keep talented people out of the work force or schools, based on their ethnicity.  After all, we need the most skilled person in every job!

Now, we have a President elect who is half black.  Certainly the presidency carries the greatest prestige of almost any job in the world — and that fact should provide positive proof that discrimination no longer is a determining factor for the majority of Americans!

With Senator Obama’s election, a Black man or Asian woman or Hispanic or just about anyone knows that he/she can achieve whatever he sets out to do in America.  For the last eight years, President Bush’s hiring policies were mostly ignored, but he was a classic example of someone who recognized  an individual’s talents, not the color of package those talents came in.  All of these changes show that Americans want to move past discrimination.  Affirmative action, as originally designed,  no longer is needed and should be eliminated so that we choose the “best”,  available person for every job without consideration of skin color.

It is time for affirmative action to be redefined to mean actively seeking the best person for the job or position….affirming that someone is the right person for the job. Black, Asian, or Hispanic people should not be given extra points just for being non-White because that ultimately destroys their achievement if they succeed.  No.  All should compete on a level playing field and even a White person should have an equal opportunity to compete. Let’s leave racism, or suggestions of racism behind.  Affirmative action can, and should, be the “New Deal”.

Murtha

He’s at it again — throwing slurs and insults out left and right…………well, only to the right.

What kind of man is he to disparage others, grouping them into “racists” and then “rednecks”,  just because they don’t agree with him?

Here’s more proof that Murtha is the intolerant person.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/17764334/detail.html

Black man FOR other Black Man

So, where’s the surprise in Colin Powell endorsing the Democratic nominee?  Both are black men and the media routinely gloats that 95% of black Americans will vote for the black candidate.  No one questions if it is okay for black people to unanimously vote for black candidates, but any white who is for Senator McCain is routinely villified for his “racism” !!!!

Only in America would it be politically correct for almost 100% of an ethnic group to vote, based on their candidate being “one of them”, and no one asks about racism on their part!

Perception is everything

I always laugh when someone tells me that by not voting for Senator Obama I am showing my racial bias.  He is black (well, half black) and I am white (well, a mixture of Scandinavian, English, French, German, and Menominee Indian).  No one seems to care that I originally liked Obama, but decided that his inexperience was far too great for the office of President.  And, as the campaign progressed, I see that he is not sticking to his promises and is trying to diminish past associations, if they hurt his campaign.   When I explain this, then I am told that I am responsible for all the problems that African Americans have encountered in America and must vote for Obama to even the score.  Actually, I wasn’t around when slavery was part of our social landscape.  And, my own grandparents experienced many hardships in coming to America from the Old Country with nothing except a small satchel of clothes!  Is someone going to recompense me for THEIR injuries?  I think not.

It is presumptuous for others to assume they know why any voter is choosing their favorite.  Blacks, we are told, are voting for the Democratic ticket because they want to see the black candidate win.  Isn’t that racist?

Women, we were told, came out in droves for Senator Clinton because they wanted to see a woman candidate win.  Isn’t that sexist?

Senator McCain has a proven record of sacrificing for the country — both in war and peace.  The complaint against him is that he is too old!  Isn’t that age discrimination?

Governor Palin has more executive experience than Senator Obama.  The complaint against her is that she is not only a woman, but a woman who is putting her career ahead of her family.  Isn’t that blatant discrimination?

I am voting for McCain/Palin.  My vote has nothing whatsoever to do with race, age, or gender.  It is based on my belief that they have the experience, good judgment, and even good character to run our country fairly and squarely.